Brixton Energy Solar 1 is Generating Electricity!
- Published: Friday, 06 April 2012 18:44
Community group Repowering South London has successfully completed the initial stage of its first project: Brixton Energy Solar 1. The project has installed several hundred square metres of solar panels on the roof of Elmore House in the Loughborough Estate in Brixton and is generating power.
Funding was raised by a community share offer, providing a return to investors of up to 3% p.a. Our share offer closed on the 20th of March 2012.
Reinvesting in the community
Part of the income generated will be reinvested in The Community Energy Efficiency Fund for energy-saving improvements in the local area, such as:
- re-skilling on energy efficiency
We believe that community-owned energy is an excellent way to start reducing our dependence on oil, protecting against rising fuel costs and environmental damage. Running our own sources of renewable energy, coupled with reducing our energy consumption, will greatly increase Brixton’s energy security against the effects of peak oil.
A greener future for Brixton
Our aims are:
- To start generating energy in Brixton
- To develop a community investment vehicle
- To reducing dependence on big energy companies
- To educate about energy efficiency and tackle fuel poverty
- To provide training and employment for local people
Brixton Energy Solar,Repowering South London,solar industry,solar digest,